The ASM Open Fund Grant provides funding for Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) for routine operational expenses and recruitment of new members. The grant is designed to be an easier way for groups to obtain operational funding without having to go through the hearing process required of other ASM grants.
The ASM Open Fund Grant for the 2020-2021 academic year is now closed.
The application for 2021-2022 will reopen July 26, 2021.
Information for Current Open Fund Organizations
Eligibility: Remember to re-register your group with the Center of Leadership & Involvement (CfLI) before October 1st. Your org must be in compliance with CfLI’s requirements in order to spend grant funds.
Workshop: Contact the ASM Financial Specialist to schedule your group’s mandatory grant workshop: email@example.com
Open Fund Grant Information
The ASM Open Fund Grant provides funding for Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) for routine operational expenses and recruitment of new members. The grant is designed to be an easier way for groups to obtain operational funding without having to go through the hearing process required of other ASM grants. Open Fund Grants are always allocated as $150.00 for printing and $50.00 for office supplies, for a total grant award of $200.00. After applying and receiving an award notice, the RSO would then need to attend a grant workshop with the ASM finance staff to review grant policies and procedures.
Click on the tabs above to learn more about each step in the grant process.
Only UW- Madison Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) in good standing with the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI) may apply for the ASM Open Fund Grant. Individuals, departments, or other non-RSO entities seeking operational funding support are ineligible to receive the ASM Open Fund Grant.
The ASM Open Fund Grant can fund:
- Printing: For operational and recruitment purposes. No printing may be used to advertise for events unless they are specific to recruitment, such as a group kick-off or the Student Org Fair. All printing must be done through StudentPrint and must contain the ASM Logo & Disclaimer.
- Office Supplies: Operational supplies required for the functioning of your group.
Important notes on the application:
- RSO officers are the only members of an RSO who can apply for a grant. They will need to log in with their Net ID.
- RSOs can only apply for ONE Open Fund Grant per academic year.
- RSOs are not eligible to receive the Open Fund Grant if they currently have an ASM Operations Grant award.
- The award amount is the same for all grant recipients: $200.00 in funding with $150.00 allocated for printing and $50.00 allocated for office supplies.
No grant hearing is required for the ASM Open Fund Grant.
The grant contacts will receive notice of award or denial within 5 business days of application submission.
- If the grant application is denied funds, your RSO will be informed by the ASM Financial Specialist as to the reason for denial.
- If the grant application is awarded funds, the grant contacts (one or both) are required to attend a grant workshop with the ASM Financial Staff. This workshop is required and provides crucial information to the RSO on how to appropriately spend the awarded grant funds.
If your RSO is awarded funds, you will need to email the ASM Financial Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up a time to attend the required workshop.
- The grant workshops take place at the ASM offices: 4301 Student Activity Center (SAC), 333 East Campus Mall, Madison, WI 53715
- The grant workshops take between 45 minutes to an hour depending on the number of groups in attendance.
- The workshops go over grant use policy, procedures for spending grant funds, and additional funding resources available to your group.
The following forms may be useful to your group in managing your Open Fund Grant:
- Open Fund Contact Change Form – need to change a grant contact? This is the form to use – should only be filled out by an existing grant contact.
- StudentPrint Order Forms – choose a form based on your specific printing needs.
- ASM Grant Memo Form – an all purpose contact form that identifies your group and your special needs.